…Because it makes your lives and ours easier!
There are many benefits of using wordpress for your personal or small business website. We have been implementing WordPress sites for many of our customers for quite a while now. We do it because it solves a lot of different problems or concerns all in one sweet swoop (cause who wants a fowl swoop!? Weird.). If you are thinking of upgrading to WordPress, or starting a new site with WordPress, read through our approach to designing and implementing with WordPress.
Your Concerns, Addressed
- I want to be able to update my site whenever I like without having to know all kinds of weird techy things
- That’s what WordPress is all about! Basically, whether you are creating a new page for your site, or posting a blog article, WordPress’s interface is really intuitive and straight-forward. We’ve created a few video tutorials for our clients customized to their needs. They watch them once and off they go, creating content and updating their own site immediately.
- I don’t have time for a “blog”, isn’t WordPress just about blogging?
- We didn’t start doing WordPress sites for quite a while because, yes, up until about 2 years ago, WordPress was really just about Blogging. Their “CMS” type functions were nowhere near as robust as other standard CMS’s on the market. All that changed when they hit verion 3.0. WordPress is now the pre-eminent CMS platform, especially for small businesses like most of our clients. What’s great is that you can have a totally static website (like IFPD client Alioscopyusa.com), or incorporate a blog (like ours, or IFPD client Poppasfreshfish.com), and even add e-commerce sections really easily.
- What about security? Is my website going to get “hacked” through WordPress?
- Security is always a high concern for us. If you do a casual search regarding the security of the leading CMS’s out there, WordPress is often referenced as less secure than others (don’t you love it when we tell you the truth!). This is partly because it’s the most highly used CMS at this stage (think Microsoft… why is it the most attacked operating system? Because the most amount of people use it). It is also because of its simple and open-source approach to CMS design. But, the beauty of WordPress being “open source” is that we developers get to see all the bells and whistles that make it run and can implement our own unique security elements without corrupting the core WordPress code. With that kind of root-level access we still get to implement our own custom security elements to keep you safe. Of course, clients who host with us also get the added protection that we offer (see below).
Our WordPress Default Customizations
WordPress is a really powerful CMS right “out of the box”. But we are tenacious about the details and the security of our clients’ sites.So we believe that there are some elements that every website should have. Some web developers will throw up a simple site for you, and neglect important aspects that make your site secure, reliable, and search-engine friendly. Why do you want a site like that? You don’t… and we don’t want that for you either. So we’ve developed a short list of mandatory implementations that we offer to all of the WordPress sites that we host automatically, without additional fees.
- Weekly Back-up. Many web hosts offer some type of website back-up, but it either costs an arm and a leg, or it’s considered a courtesy which they fulfill occasionally. Neither of those options is very appealing for us. So we decided to implement weekly back-ups for all our clients running WordPress and hosted on our server — at no cost to you!
- Social Media Integration. WordPress has excellent social media integration tools. If you have a Facebook business page then your blog articles become Facebook posts immediately. If you don’t have a Facebook page… let’s talk about that. Also, anyone visiting your site will be able to easily share any page of your site on a multitude of available social media networks like Twitter, Reddit, Tumblr and more.
- SPAM Protection. WordPress has really robust anti-Spam protections all on it’s own. But we have a few tricks up our sleeve to keep those bugs away as well. This combination of using WordPress’s comment settings to their maximum benefit as well as our own server-level techniques mean you don’t have to worry about wasting your valuable business time sifting through comment Spam, and you don’t have to spend $5 a month on spam protection like Akismet (the default WordPress service most websites use).
- Basic SEO Optimization. There are whole industries dedicated to forcing webpages up the perverbial search engine ladder. The truth is, SEO (search engine optimization) is fairly straight forward. If you overthink it, or over-tweak it, you run the risk of having your site blacklisted by Google and other search engines. When we install your WordPress site, we begin SE optimization immediately. WordPress’s features make this easy and intuitive. Once your site is up and running, we have a few more tricks to make sure the major search engines know you are up and running and where to find all your vital content. All of this is standard practice for us when you run a WordPress site on our server.
For Further Reading
- Smashing Magazine is a leading source for web design and development news, information, tutorials, and resources. It’s one of our favorite morning with coffee reads. This article sums up why WordPress has become the de facto CMS.
- This is a great article the summarizes the differences between the CMS’s.
- Here’s a great visual comparison chart of Drupal, Joomla, and WordPress.